Getting into PS2 dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into PS2 dev

I have been developing video games, 2d and 3d, low level and high level, powerful and slow, for 4 years. As I am lead through game development, I am brought to the world of PS2 development. If you haven't heard the news, PS2 games can be commercially released without having to contact Sony. So that is why I am here. I am not what some people refer to as a "noob" or "nub", but I am not rude either. I want to know how to dive into PS2 development. I have found a guide on these forums to compile and setup a PS2 development library, as seen here. I want to get into PS2 development as soon as possible, but need to know what this software is capable of and what it already accomplishes for you. What can it do? From what I saw, it looked like it handles internal PS2 functions, PS2 controller input, sound and networking. Does it actually have graphical and physics functions, too? Can I use an existing engine like Irrlicht for graphics and/or physics if it doesn't? I could mod Irrlicht to utilize the PS2 development library too, if needed. And I should be using C++ for PS2 development, correct? Can you please explain this to me? Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post.

-Jedimace1

Welcome aboard, Jedimace1. PS2Dev.org is the birthplace of the unofficial PS2 development kit, so you might find more specific information there (though I also have admin rights there, so much of the info as of late was added by me). There are two primary graphics libraries for the PS2SDK: gsLib and gsKit, the latter being the most widely used and updated. I don't know of any widely used physics engines or libraries, but I've seen a few adapted for the PS2SDK, for specific use.

Let me know if there's anything I can provide (information, software, etc), and, if you feel so inclined, take a look at Project Artemis
    I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

Comment

I will post my question there then.
      Last edited by Jedimace1; 10-30-2008, 09:55:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X