John McAfee dies by suicide in Spanish prison, lawyer says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McAfee dies by suicide in Spanish prison, lawyer says

Millionaire John McAfee said Wednesday that he was released from detention in the Dominican Republic along with five others.

The Caribbean island's armed forces and public ministry said earlier in the day that McAfee was taken into custody along with U.S. citizens Elizabeth McAfee and Richard Alan Gibson, Robert Whitfield of Germany, Oral Thompson of The Bahamas and Vasner Louis of Haiti.

They were suspected of traveling on a yacht carrying high-caliber weapons, ammunition and military-style gear, officials said.

McAfee tweeted: "I was well treated. My superiors were friendly and helpful. In spite of the helpful circumstances, we've decided to move on. More later."

McAfee developed early Internet security software and has been sought by authorities in the U.S. and Belize in the past.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ublic-64551496
    Last edited by dlevere; 06-24-2021, 10:42:31 PM. Reason: Updated title thread
    The Hackmaster

John McAfee, antivirus software pioneer, arrested in Spain

Entrepreneur indicted for tax evasion in US after failing to declare million-dollars earnings

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-evasion-in-us
    The Hackmaster

Comment

Fuck the feds and fuck McCafe. They both suck.
      "Roll The Bones" - Rush
      Patreon.com/nensondubois Twitter #nensondubois_Youtube.com/user/nensondubois

Comment

John McAfee Found Dead In Prison

(Businesshala) — John McAfee, creator of the antivirus software of the same name, was found dead in prison outside Barcelona on Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. He was 75 years old.

In recent years, McAfee has become a major booster of cryptocurrencies, unsuccessfully running for US president, had multiple run-ins with the law and traded in excessive conspiracy theories.

McAfee was found dead in his prison cell after Spain’s national court approved his extradition to the US on multiple tax fraud charges. The Associated Press, citing a statement from the region’s government, reported that security personnel at the Brion 2 prison in northeastern Spain tried to revive him, but were unsuccessful.

McAfee has been in Spanish custody since October following a June 2020 US indictment that accused him of failing to file a four-year tax return while hiding assets. Then in March, he was indicted and charged with fraud and money laundering over his use of social media to promote cryptocurrencies, which prosecutors said generated $13 million in illegal profits for McAfee and a co-conspirator. .

The Justice Department declined to comment and a spokesman sent questions to Spanish officials.

Before the legal turmoil, McAfee was a leader in the cyber security industry. He joined McAfee Corp in 1987 in Santa Clara, California. Founded and led the company as it dominated the market for antivirus protection for personal computers. Half of all Fortune 100 companies were using its software at the time. McAfee resigned in 1994. Decades later he told the South China Morning Post that running the company was no longer fun as it grew into a huge corporation with thousands of employees.

Intel Corp. bought the company in 2010 and later rebranded all McAfee products as Intel Security. After his name was removed, McAfee told the BBC, “I am now forever grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet.”

McAfee relocated to Belize in 2008, after a series of failed investments in property, real estate and bonds reduced its $100 million assets to $4 million. He had his biggest conflict with authorities in 2012 after a neighbor, Gregory Fall, a 52-year-old contractor and Florida native, was killed in 2012. McAfee’s home on Ambergris Caye Island was searched after Fall was shot and killed, and police said they wanted to interrogate him as part of the murder investigation.

He then sought asylum in Guatemala in 2012, claiming that he was not on the run from authorities in Belize. He turned to social media and public interviews to protect his reputation, sent updates to Wired magazine, allowed two Vice magazine reporters to accompany him, and posted missives on his website. He discussed escaping the police by burying himself in sand in a cardboard box and changing his appearance.

McAfee was expelled from Guatemala and arrived in Miami in December 2012. In an interview with Businesshala News on the day of his departure, 67-year-old McAfee said he was being pulled out of Belize but was “absolutely happy with the decision.” He apologized to the then President of Guatemala for putting him in a “slippery position”. He was later ordered by a Florida judge to pay more than $25 million to Fall’s estate.

In 2016, McAfee announced plans to campaign for the Libertarian Party as the presidential candidate on a privacy-focused platform, including pushing for the government to create a cybersecurity defense strategy. The party’s nomination was won by former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson.

As of 2017, McAfee has jumped on the bitcoin bandwagon as chief executive officer of MGT Capital Investments Inc. He promised to turn the former video game operation into a profitable cybersecurity firm by growing his bitcoin mining business. He stepped down later that year to become CEO of Luxcore, a cryptocurrency company.

Part of his cryptocurrency venture involved charging over $105,000 per tweet to promote initial coin offerings. McAfee later told his Twitter followers that he was forced to “go dark” on social media after receiving an unspecified “threat” from the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

According to the federal indictment, McAfee failed to file U.S. tax returns during the period from 2014 to 2018. After escaping from law enforcement, he was arrested and detained in Spain last October. From prison, McAfee was able to use Twitter to continue promoting cryptocurrencies, but also to share his experience. In April, he tweeted: “This has been the hardest period of my life.” At that time, he had been in prison in Catalonia for six months.

In November 2019, McAfee took to Twitter to show off his latest tattoo on his right biceps. It read, ‘$WHACKD’. In a related tweet, he wrote: “Receiving subtle messages from US officials, in fact: ‘We’re coming for you McAfee! We are going to kill ourselves. I got a tattoo done just in case today. If I committed suicide I didn’t. I was shocked. Check my right hand.”

The Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia reported that McAfee died by suicide, citing a statement from Catalonia’s regional justice department, where he was being held.

https://businesshala.com/john-mcafee...ead-in-prison/
        The Hackmaster

Comment

The Hackmaster

Comment

It’s important to note that most prospective lawyers begin assessing their career goals even before applying to law school. They already have a pretty good idea about the type of law they want to practice and the legal jobs they’re most interested in. And a lot of them end up asking the same question: how much do criminal lawyers make?
            We’ll start with the basics and then delve into different factors that affect salaries for jobs in law. This information will enable you to make a more informed decision on whether this career is the best fit for you, as well as which field to pursue.

Comment

Working...
            X